Heyo from Sevilla, Spain! I’m back with this month’s issue of Tam’s Jam: my curated collection of resources and lessons around living a meaningful life.
Welcome to all the new people who have joined recently! My custom Taboo cards and my article, What Should We Do When It's Too Expensive to Live?, has picked up a tiny bit of SEO. 😀
In this issue: a recap of my CDMX trip, a wheel for your feelings, quiet quitting, the practice of surrender, discovering Mr. Beast and more.
Learning Spanish, Making Friends, and Dancing Bachata in Mexico City 🇲🇽
I just finished spending three months in Mexico City and loved every moment of it.
This is a recap of my time there with recommendations for learning Spanish, making friends, and dancing bachata and salsa in CDMX.
There's also an important note on traveling (anywhere) with intention. Your intention. 🛫
Cool links and resources
- 💜 Feelings Wheel - Do you struggle with identifying how you feel at any given moment? Or know someone who feels strongly about something but can't communicate it? One resource I used when I used to facilitate mastermind groups was asking each participant to share a one-word emotion before we started every meeting. Feel free to save and refer back to this whenever you need!
- 🔎 Search Team – My life coach, Melissa Wong, sponsored last month's issue of Tam's Jam and I wanted to share her program again for those who missed it. Search Team is a new program for creative-minded job seekers who are looking to find a career that lights them up, utilizes their gifts, and pays them well. If you’re having a hard time finding clarity or stability in your job search or are just feeling lonely and burnt out with it, check out Melissa’s new program.
- 🖥 Remote OK – This job site has a large database of remote-friendly jobs. Their newest feature is adding a filter called "async" where you can look for specific jobs that require no meetings. Pretty rad.
- 🐑 Unbound Merino – My friend and supporter of this blog created an amazing clothing brand called Unbound Merino. I've been using their products (all made out of merino wool) to travel light throughout my travels to Mexico, Greece, and now Spain. Use my link to shop for your next trip and support the blog. Or use the non-affiliate link here.
- 🦆 Ultimate Brain for Notion – My friend Thomas Frank (YouTuber with 2.4 mil subs) spent the last few years testing Notion to organize his life. He recently launched a template that helps anyone get started on Notion. I watched his video walkthrough of the system and it looks absolutely insane. And incredible. It's a bit too much for me but I wanted to share it in case you're into being hyper-organized with your workflows integrated with your personal life.
- 🛩 Global Entry – Getting Global Entry has arguably been one of the best investments I've made. It saves me at least an hour every time I go through customs. And all hours aren't equal. Imagine arriving back home after a long flight and having to wait an extra hour on top of that. GE is so advanced now that I go into a separate line, show my face to the machine, and walk through customs in less than a minute. The cost was $75 for 5 years when I applied. You can see the program to see if you qualify and what it costs today.
- ⏰ TimeShifter – Nick Gray recommended this timely app to help me adjust to jet lag while traveling. I appreciate you looking out!! If you haven't already, I highly recommend Nick's new book, The 2-Hour Cocktail Party: How to Build Big Relationships with Small Gatherings, now with over 200 reviews!!
What I’m reading/watching
- 😶 If Your Co-Workers Are ‘Quiet Quitting,’ Here’s What That Means (WSJ - Article) – A new term has sparked on a topic that I published last year on how you don't have to find your life purpose through work. Quiet quitting. "It isn’t about getting off the company payroll, these employees say. In fact, the idea is to stay on it—but focus your time on the things you do outside of the office."
- 🙅 It’s Time to Stop Living the American Scam (NYT - Article) – "Enough with the busywork already. We’ve been “productive” enough — produced way too much, in fact. And there is too much that urgently needs to be done: a republic to salvage, a civilization to reimagine and its infrastructure to reinvent, innumerable species to save, a world to restore and millions who are impoverished, imprisoned, illiterate, sick or starving. All while we waste our time at work."
- 😌 Practicing surrender amidst the demands of modern life (Substack - Article) – A fantastic article on the author's personal experience with his spiritual growth. More specifically around the concept of surrender, a topic that I've been exploring for myself lately. This piece does a great job balancing the spiritual with the practical: how to actually apply these learnings in real life.
- 💅 Nail Salon Gossips About White Guy, But He Secretly Knows Chinese (YouTube) – I'm a sucker for these kinds of language videos that connects cultures together. This new upload in particular is an instant classic.
- 📹 How Mr. Beast Became Successful on YouTube (YouTube) – I have been living under a rock and only recently discovered who Mr. Beast was. I listened to his full interview with Joe Rogan and I have to say, this kid is one of the most intelligent, humble, and down-to-earth creators I have ever seen. Incredibly devoted to his craft, donates millions of dollars to charity, and has a fun time with his friends in the process. Bravo. 👏
- 🍜 How to build an audience with no product (Article - Hustle Fund) – Some of you know that I have a new writing gig with Hustle Fund where I help entrepreneurs grow their businesses and angel investors make better decisions. It's not super relevant to my blog's purpose, living a more meaningful life, but this piece above is for anyone here who has aspirations to be a creator. I'm also proud of my piece, Make friends, not contacts, for those looking to build a stronger network.
- 😯 Most People Won't (Article - Medium) — If you need a kick in your butt to take a leap, this will be your pep talk.
🐤 Tweets of the month
All tweets can be found on my Tweeter (@MrTamPham)
🙂 Before you go
🙏 Support Tam’s Jam:
- Become a member (and get perks) or make a one-time donation here! My goal with writing is for you to live a happier and more meaningful life. When you support the blog, you're making my writing more accessible to friends (who you haven't met yet) who are on a similar journey. Thank you in advance!! ☺️
📚 My books:
- How To Network: Build Instant Trust & Respect With Anyone You Meet (112 reviews - 4.5/5⭐️)
- How To Land Your Dream Internship: Proven Step-By-Step System To Gain Real World Experience (42 reviews - 4.9/5 ⭐️)
🤠 Say hi to me on da socials:
➡️ You can find all past issues of Tam’s Jams here.
😄 Have a friend who would dig this? Send your friend here to sign up for the next issue. 🙏
👀 See what I’m up to right now.
Thanks for reading! See you again next month.
Tam Pham's Blog
I write about my adventures, learnings, and reflections on living my weird, unconventional life. Subscribe below!